Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Answer

Hey guys! I got a very interesting question at the blog that I felt the need to further elaborate. It was actually a 2 part question. The first question being was where I based the translation off of. Of course the answer to that one is Spanish. I translate all of my releases from Spanish to English because it is the second language (That I'm fluent in.) that Kuroko no Basket is translated into.
The second part of the question was what language I thought was closest to the original Japanese release. I personally think that it has to be Chinese. My reason being is that Chinese (Mandarin) is a little less complicated than say English or Spanish. The sentence structure is not as complicated as it is in those other two languages. Yes, I know they're completely different languages, but Chinese kind of gets straight to the point. If that makes sense? xD
When translating, one has to make it sound right into whatever language you  are translating something into. Sometimes I encounter sentences in Spanish that sound perfectly fine in that language, but if you were to literally translate that into English it would sound odd. So depending on the translator, it would come down to how that person thinks sounds right without totally losing the essential meaning of the sentence.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that when translating, you make things sound right in the particular language you're translating into. Obviously, Japanese is going to sound one way and Chinese, English, or Spanish another way. Essentially, something will change, but the meaning is still there. It's just that it's said in a different way than it would its original language. 
Thanks for reading! 
-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment